The area is highly significant to Ngarla traditional owners and includes the mangrove-lined embayments of Bake Bean Creek, sandy beaches and intertidal sand and mudflats. It is a popular spot for recreational fishing.
Known to the local Aboriginal people as Gauroojeninya. It was discovered in 1874 by the pioneers William and Stephen Ponton and John Sharp. Today all that remains at Pine Hill is a dam, ruins of an oven and travellers’ graves.